Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Copyright, Web Ethics, and Open Sources

 Copyright:

While copyright laws are great for protecting the artists and creators and their works, it seems that most copyright laws are pointless.  As stated on this web page, copyright infringement is hard to monitor.  To me, it seems that copyright infringement is not only hard, but extremely hard to nearly impossible. There is no way to catch every single person that may be committing a copyright crime because there are millions upon millions of people participating daily.  The governments cannot hunt down every single person and track their computer use.  It would be a waste of time and resources.  The best that governments can do is to help prevent copyright abuse by shutting down sites that rely on it, like Limewire which allows users to upload songs and download songs for free.  It is next to impossible to stop all abuse, but it is a start to try and prevent it.


Open Source, Open Culture from DJ Spooky:

I can honestly say that in regards to music, I have bought blank CD's and put songs onto the CD's to give to friends.  However, every song that I put on came from a CD that I owned already or a song that I owned already.  I do understand that  this may still be copyright infringement, but I believed when I was younger that it was okay because I was not selling the songs.  As DJ Spooky said, the number one selling CD is the blank CD.  I can completely relate to this because when I was in junior high and high school, the cool thing was to make a mixed CD for your friends.

Ethics of Web 2.0:

I never knew that there were true sharing sites and fake sharing sites.  I always thought that Youtube allowed users to use songs as long as they list them and that when I downloaded a picture off of a site like Flicker, I was just saving the picture.  However, I understand how Youtube is a fake sharing site.  I remember trying to find a video online that one Youtuber had talked about in their vlog.  The video was one that was made by them, however Youtube had removed the video due to copyright issues and then put the video back up, and then they took it down again.  I can't really remember why the video was taken down, however the video was made by a user.  Maybe it had songs or other clips that Youtube thought went against their rules and regulations for sharing.


No comments:

Post a Comment