Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Internet Browsers and Their Affect on Access

There are many, many internet browsers available for use today.  Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, FireFox...with so many it is hard to decipher which ones are the best.  When talking to different people, it is apparent that some have a browser that they love to use.

While in my first semester of college I had to download FireFox because I needed it for a chemistry program.  I had only used FireFox once or twice before when Internet Explorer would stop working.  I found that FireFox was okay, but it was nothing compared to Google Chrome.  I loved Google Chrome because it was so quick and I could customize my background.  I also had all my favorite sites organized on tabs.  And then an unthinkable thing occurred.  My laptop went crazy and deleted Google Chrome.  On its own!  I freaked out and ever since I have use FireFox on my laptop because I became so used to how it works.  While I still haven't figured out how to set favorites or view browser history (mainly because there are no tabs on top of the browser) I have become used to the layout and to me it seems fast enough.

One of the main sources of information that people consume comes from web sources.  Because of this, which browsers people use affects their access to information.  If a browser is slow, then the amount of information that people consume is limited.  It it truly astounding that speed affects information processing.  A faster browser is preferred over a slower browser.  Modern society is infatuated with speed.  The faster something can get done the more can get done.  If a browser is lighting fast, then that allows more work to get accomplished and it makes the user happy.

Speed is affects access exponentially.  If something is slow, like a web browser or internet connection, then that may decrease the user's interest and the amount of time that they have to see information.




No comments:

Post a Comment