Wednesday, June 20, 2012

"Dream Machines" by Will Wright

First off, yay! A reading assignment from a person who I actually know of.  Will Wright created The Sims which is my favorite game of all time.  I think that everyone has that one game that they will always enjoy playing and for me it's The Sims.  I've been playing it since the very first edition came out so about ten years.  Sadly I haven't had the money to buy the third edition and my computer is breaking down, so when I get a new computer I can't wait to buy the third edition.  It's a fantastic time waster.

Now on to Mr. Wrights article.  To me he is arguing in favor of video games by using simple logic.  He says that video games are not just mind sucking time voids, but rather they inspire creativity and imagination.  I completely agree with him.  For example, playing The Sims allowed me to become more creative in how I build my houses.  I started off just using the pre-designed houses that are available, and then I moved on to changing those models, until finally I started messing around with landscape and different structures to create my own designs.  A video game allowed me to think of new ways to change something.  My creativity was tested and improved because I would get tired of the same decor or style so I would have to create new designs and think of new places to lay out furniture.

I believe that the reason why society only sees the negative effects of video games is because there is a big focus on our youth.  Almost every child from a young age knows how to use some digital device because we are living in a thickly populated digital age.  Video games have a way of taking up something called free time.  When a child has free time and they start to play a game that they are enjoying the world fades away.  I used to play The Sims right when I got up and then finally at midnight I would be turning it off to go to sleep in the same clothes that I slept in the night before.  When interest is entertained, time does not matter, especially to younger people. 

Our world is becoming obsessed with controlling health and the youth.  Some see video games as nothing but crap that needs to be destroyed.  Those people are so focused on control that they lose their creativity and imagination because they only see a square box instead of a square box that is actually a house with pillars and fire places and a fantastic kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment